SOMERSET — Interim Chief Todd Costa is pleased to announce that the Somerset Police Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill immediate vacancies for full-time Police Officer positions.
“The Somerset Police Department serves a community of approximately 18,000 people and is a great town to begin or continue a career in public safety,” Chief Costa said. “We encourage qualified applicants to submit an application as soon as possible.”
The Somerset Police Department offers a competitive salary, full education incentives, and the possibility of credit for years of service toward pay and time off benefits.
Candidates must be able to pass a physical exam, psychological exam and rigorous background investigation. Applicants must possess a minimum of an associate’s degree in a law enforcement field of study.
Applicants should be certified as having completed a full-time Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee (MPTC) police academy or equivalent MPTC approved training academy. The MPTC Reserve Intermittent Police Officer Academy will not satisfy this requirement.
In order to be eligible for the position, all candidates must be able to meet the additional following basic qualifications:
- Be a United States citizen (birth or naturalized)
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment
- No felony record (MGL 41-96A)
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license (by date of appointment)
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms
- Must not smoke any tobacco products (MGL 41-101A)
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of a police officer, including being willing and available to perform said functions on weekends, holidays and on an overtime basis or when staffing requires
Those who meet the above requirements and wish to be considered for the position should send a resume and proof of full-time academy completion to Capt. William Tedford. Applications can be dropped off in person at the police station, 465 County St. or emailed to email@example.com.
There is no due date for applications. All applicants will be considered immediately.
The Somerset Police Department is a non-civil service department and an Equal Opportunity Employer.