Welcome to the Somerset Police Explorers Information page. Law Enforcement Exploring is the preeminent career orientation and experience program for young people contemplating a career in law enforcement or a related field in the criminal justice system. It’s mission is to offer young adults aged 14 (who have completed the 8th grade) to 21 years old a personal awareness of the criminal justice system through training, practical experiences, competition and other activities. The Explorer program will provide the Explorers with training and education in criminal and constitutional law, crime scene investigations, search and rescue, first aid/CPR and much more! The Somerset Police Explorers is led by Program Director Sergeant Todd Costa.
It is the mission of the Somerset Police Department Explorer Program to provide young people of character and integrity with opportunities that promote leadership, confidence, discipline, and community service and to create positive relationships with police officers while developing an awareness of the purpose, mission and objectives of law enforcement and the Somerset Police Department
LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPLORING OFFERS THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Gain exposure to various criminal justice careers and to have positive interaction with law enforcement professionals.
- Obtain “hands-on” experience and awareness of the criminal justice system, thereby helping Explorers to make an informed decision on a career in law enforcement, or a related field.
- Benefit from interpersonal growth through self-discipline, teamwork, challenging experiences, and high standards of performance and personal conduct.
- Enhanced character development and improved physical and mental fitness.
- Learn responsibility to self and others through leadership opportunities.
WHEN DO MEETINGS AND OTHER ACTIVITIES TAKE PLACE?
The frequency of meetings, training and other activities is determined by the sponsoring agency for the Law Enforcement Explorer Post. Some Posts conduct meetings and other activities on a weekly basis while others have less frequent participation requirements.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
The Annual program participation fee is $24. In addition, some Posts require payment of funds in the form of periodic dues or specific fees to support the program, purchase uniforms, etc. Special activities and events such as national conferences and national leadership academies involve registration fees and other costs as determined by the type, duration and location of the event or activity. Individual programs may request an additional program fee and would be determined by the local Explorer Post.
HOW CAN I JOIN?
- Determine that a law enforcement career is of interest to you.
- Attend a meeting or activity.
- Fill out the Youth Participation Form and pay the annual participation fee.
Due to the sensitive nature of law enforcement operations, most Law Enforcement Explorer Posts have additional requirements including the successful completion of a background check (no prior arrest record or serious traffic violations), passing an oral interview, maintaining a minimum grade point average, being a person of good conduct and high moral character, being physically fit, etc.
For more information contact:
(508) 679-2138 ext 127
Reserve Officer Mark Morris
(508) 679-2138 ext 150